With Apple Pay, Apple makes an old-fashioned debit card superfluous because you can pay with your iPhone, Apple Watch or online on your Mac. In this tip, you can read exactly how you set up the payment service, how it works and what the options are.
Set up Apple Pay on your iPhone, Apple Watch and Mac
Apple Pay in the Netherlands is finally officially available. The payment service can currently be used by ING customers. Other banks will undoubtedly follow, but when this happens is not yet clear. In this tip, we explain per device what you need to be able to pay with Apple Pay.
- Set up and use Apple Pay on iPhone
- Set up and use Apple Pay on Apple Watch
- Set up and use Apple Pay on a Mac
Set up Apple Pay on an iPhone
The most common way to pay with Apple Pay is of course with an iPhone. If you have an iPhone 6 or newer, you can use the payment service. This is because there is a special chip in the device from this iPhone, which is linked to the Touch ID or Face ID sensor to enable secure payments.
Add a debit card to Apple Pay
Before you can pay with Apple Pay, you must first add a debit card to the Wallet app on your iPhone. In countries where Apple Pay is supported, you can use this app to register your supporting debit card and connect it to your iPhone. That works as follows.
- Open the Wallet app and tap the blue plus in the upper right corner;
- Follow the steps on the screen to register your card;
- Press next to have your bank check if you can use Apple Pay. It may happen that the bank needs more information from you;
- Once your request has been approved, your bank card will be in Wallet and you can use Apple Pay.
Now that the debit card has been added, you can pay in stores and online with Apple Pay and the linked card. If you have more passes, you can add them in the same way as above.
Pay with Apple Pay on your iPhone
Are you fit in the Wallet app, then you are ready to use Apple Pay. The next time you pay online at a web store or in the App Store, or in a physical store you can go through the steps below.
- Check whether the payment terminal supports Apple Pay;
- Press the side button of the iPhone twice;
- Keep the top of the iPhone close to the payment terminal;
- Use Face ID or Touch ID to confirm your identity.
Set up Apple Pay on an Apple Watch
If you have an Apple Watch, you can also pay with the payment service without removing your iPhone from your pocket. You simply hold the watch above the payment machine to pay the bill.
Link a debit card to Apple Watch Apple Pay
You can also pay with Apple Pay on your Apple Watch, but just like on the iPhone, you first have to attach the card to your watch. You do this as follows.
- Open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone and tap “My Watch”;
- Choose ‘Wallet & Apple Pay’;
- Follow the steps on the screen to add a pass;
- At a given moment, the bank checks whether you are eligible for Apple Pay;
- After approval, your Apple Watch is ready for Apple Pay.
Pay with Apple Pay and your Apple Watch
If you have connected a debit card to your Apple Watch, then paying with Apple Pay works almost the same as on the iPhone.
- Press the Apple Watch side button twice;
- Hold the Apple Watch above a payment terminal that supports Apple Pay;
- The Apple Watch gives a tap on your wrist if the payment is successful.
Set up Apple Pay on a MacBook
Finally, Apple Pay is also available on the Mac, although you cannot hold a MacBook above a payment terminal to deal with it without contact. Apple Pay on the Mac is specifically intended for online payments, such as in the App Store or web shops that support the service. To use Apple Pay on a Mac you need a Mac with a Touch ID. For example, all MacBook Pro models with Touch Bar, or the MacBook Air 2018.
- Add an Apple Pay debit card to your Mac;
- Open System Preferences and choose “Wallet & Apple Pay”;
- Add a card and follow the steps on the screen;
- Your bank then checks whether the pass is suitable for Apple Pay;
- When this verification is complete, your Mac is ready to use Apple Pay.
Now that your debit card has been added, you can easily pay in supporting web shops by clicking on the Apple Pay logo. You then put your finger on the Touch ID button to confirm your identity and complete the payment.
Where can you pay with Apple Pay?
In the countries where Apple Pay is supported, you can pay with the service if you have completed the above steps. This is possible with most wireless payment terminals that contain the contactless payment icon above. There is also an Apple Pay sticker or logo in many stores that shows that Apple’s payment service is supported.